Another case for the freak fire file

Iona Bain

Two quick-thinking cleaners prevented a house fire getting out of control in Edinburgh by stopping their van and using the water-jet they carry in the back.

With the occupants away, the fire is said to have been caused by a magnifying mirror reflecting the sun’s rays onto a sofa.

The early morning blaze could have spread devastation in smart Trinity Crescent Edinburgh, but for cleaning team Raymond Peacock and Paul Seggie, the Mail reports today.

Iona reported for The Herald in March on the dangers of freak mirror fires, after a series of incidents in London and the South of England  in which mirrors left on window-sills or dressing-tables directed sunlight onto furniture……… and gutted entire homes.

The Scottish police at the time said they did not have any figures for similar incidents.

Is it time for magnifying mirrors to carry a warning?

http://youngmoneyblog.co.uk/freak-fires-shine-light-on-home-insurance-are-you-underinsuredoverinsuredpaying-too-much-through-price-comparison-sites/

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

4 × four =

about us

Established in 2011, the Young Money Blog is the first British blog to help young people get to grips with personal finance. We are proud to be non-profit, authentic, independent and ethical. 

contact

If you want to book Iona for appearances, commissions or any kind of work, please visit the agency page. The Young Money Blog does not host adverts, SEO-driven guest posts or commercial content of any kind. Find out more on the about page.

Young Money News

Young Money Blog & Agency © Iona Bain 2019 | All rights reserved | Designed by The Virtual Studio